Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: how to handle "significant other"/spouse who's not on board

Quote:
Brian Dewey wrote: View Post
Hopefully I'm not posting in the dark here:

Anybody who struggles with a "significant other" and/or spouse who's not entirely onboard with your dedication to Aikido?

Real life scenario:

I have a serious girlfriend that I'm seriously considering marrying. She's open-minded about my dedication to Aikido (i.e. "boys and their toys" sort of attitude), but is not entirely "on board" with Aikido (or the martial arts in general) being simply more than a hobby like fantasy football.

When I asked her this afternoon if she wanted to accompny me to a iaijutsu seminar in Michigan (i.e. I packaged it as a roadtrip for both of us to see a part of the country neither of us have been to), she turned me down cold. Even after I told her that the seminar itself would last only 3 hours. The rest of our weekend would be sightseeing.

Anybody else with a similar sort of situation? Any advice is welcome.
Whew...Thats a tough one brother...Your only hope is that as you grow in practice that practice grows on her...

It's always been non-negotiable with me as well as surfing. I have brought many dates to practice so that they can see what an important part of my life practice is...

Hopefully it won't come down to a hard choice and she'll continue to compromise.

WIlliam Hazen