Thread: Taking notes?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #32
Hanna B
Sweden
Re: Taking notes?

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I don't think I ever would have asked an instructor about taking notes outside of class, for a couple of reasons:
Some of my instructors have had no understanding of my learning style - they expect everybody can pick up weapons by osmosis/repetition for example, and the thought that somebody could do so by reading a step by step list drove them nuts.
My notes are me taking responsibility for my learning - MY priorities, which will change over time.
YMMV.
Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
You should certainly ask your instructor about etiquette if you're thinking of taking notes *during* class. But even then, the actual content is something for you to decide.
You both have a point. But I must have been unclear. I didn't mean "ask permission". I meant that it might be a good idea for the thread starter to investigate what his teacher is expecting him to learn. Same as he supposes, and is focusing on - or different?

Janet has a whole other possibility to take responsibility for her learning than the TS here. That has to do with levels. Sure, take responsability for your learning, but realise you'll probably have to change your concepts of what you should learn a couple of times.

Regarding the issue of taking notes in itself, advice from the teacher should be at least as valuabe as advice from some random people on an internet forum. But not all teacher's advice are perfect for every student. That is correct.

Last edited by Hanna B : 11-01-2011 at 12:14 AM.