View Single Post
Old 08-21-2015, 05:54 AM   #12
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States
Re: Are Aikido Organizations Relevant?

While an organization seems elicit very specific ideas for the author and for Yannis, the actual definition of an organization is a social unit of people that is structured and managed to meet a need or pursue collective goals.. There are other options for the wording, but a dojo is the very definition of an organization.

It is not required by the definition that the group be completely homogeneous, or harmonious. It is not required by definition that an organization be legally incorporated, or a multinational group, or even large in number. Legal documents, dues and fee structures, us-versus-them against other groups - not required to be an organization.

Without someone else to be Uke, without the agreed upon class time and the teacher/student structure, we can't do the primary activities Involved in learning Aikido. Don't go to a dojo, just read and watch videos? The materials are provided and distributed by organizations. This art is always transmitted in the context of an organization.

Dojos that are not affiliated with the IAF or Aikikai Hombu still benefit from the efforts of the larger groups in that Aikido has become a household name. In the same way, I am not a part of any technology based organizations but I certainly benefit or at least am affected in highly relevant fashion from the existence, development and use of the microchip all around me.

A dojo may not refer to itself as an organization but really to exist it needs to proceed in social collective behavior. A dojo may or may not claim a specific style or social identity but in my experience individual instructor(s) are usually clear about what they teach and why or at least ask the question and this is passed on to students to varying degrees. Nothing in the definition insisting on everyone following the leader exactly. Some organizations seem to exist only as what they are not, or may have a poor sense of identity.

Is an Aikido organization relevant to Me? I could argue as I have never been to Norway nor met someone from Norway who practices Aikido that if there is a Norweign Aikido Federation it is not relevant to me. That may not be true - have any of my training partners over the decades had exposure to such an organization? The odds are it's likely. And, not being relevant to me is not the same as saying it is not relevant to someone somewhere.