Thread: Irimi Nage
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #32
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: Irimi Nage

On Phi Truong's atemi love, let's us see....

1. On entry, atemi against the attacking hand/arm...

2. Still on entry your inbound knee into the attacker's outer thigh (this happens "accidentally" for me from time to time, I think it's the awareness from the Muay Thai training, it's just so easy and obviously there to strike)...

3. Non-traditional, but what about the inner forearm shiver to the back of the neck, that's right ehre.

** Comment ** I don't grab anything when I do iriminage, the one hand is up, over and around uke's shoulder, nd my arm falls into the space between the far shoulder and neck. I do "think" an arm's weight (I've a long arm so it must weigh a lot) towards the earth while rotating uke.

4. On the reversing of rotation, the obvious one is the one offensive to Janet, the whiplash clothesline, which "can" be done as a rising ridgehand strike not at uke's head but just past it, which means that the actual striking surface is the other inner forearm.

5. And of course, my personally favorite bit of "striking" mean-ness is to nail uke with a semi-traditional osoto-gari as part and parcel of gake. That's really nasty and don't do it to anybody buty your friends when they know you are working on it. You're likely to invert someone to land on their head. Unpleasant in the extreme.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.