Old 10-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #21
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Training .... when you are not training

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Hello Peter,

Yes, I'd read it a little while ago but forgot about it until you pointed it out. I have been rereading the back issues if Aiki News/Aikido Journal just recently. Unfortunately I'm only up to Issue 72. It takes a bit of time to reread through and pull relevant info.

It seems like there was some change in Kisshomaru Ueshiba sometime after the war ended to shortly after the Tohei split. Can't really put my finger on exactly what ... Perhaps the weight of the war, his father's death, and Tohei's actions caused him to alter the way he viewed how he wanted Aikido to proceed? Seems like some shift in direction occurred ... but I could be wrong.

Hope you are doing well,
Mark
Hello Mark,

I think you will need to look at the evidence, such as it is, very carefully and I will do this in my columns when the time comes. However, Tada Shihan was a disciple of Nakamura Tempu, along with Tohei Sensei, and was also a student at Waseda (and doing aikido training), when the issues with Tomiki Kenjio arose. So I think he would be well-placed to detect any change in Kisshomaru's attitudes. He also states that he was trying to replicate O Sensei's training methods and this is why I think Tada Shihan is relevant to Ellis's concerns in HIPS. An additional advantage is that he is still alive and healthy--prodigiously healthy for an 82 year old. Kei Izawa and I plan to interview him as soon as we can find a mutually acceptable time and place.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury