View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #19
Cady Goldfield
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
Charles Burmeister wrote:
Let's just whatch the whole kid thing...you don't know me.

This sums it all up!!!! Once they learned the CORRECT WAY then the began to practice it correctly. What a shock.

My falls are soft and relaxed. Why do you constitute slapping to mean stiff and hard?

Regards,

Charlie
Sorry, Charlie, everyone is a "kid" to me at my age. If you'd like, I can just call you "sonny." Just kidding. In fact, anyone my age or older will remember what television commercial "Sorry, Charlie" came from.
And I don't constitute slapping with "stiff and hard"... but with incorrect technique. You are accelerating and adding force to your own fall. Having been thrown from horses at a full gallop, onto hard pavement, I have both quantitative and qualitative data that illustrates the difference between breakfalling with and without slapping.

I don't have a problem with people doing this on mats, especially beginners who are just learning their left from their right. The trouble is, once this initial exercise is conditioned into the student, it is hard to break them of it. Then they take it on the streets with them. Falling on mats and falling on pavement or rocks are very different matters. Why not teach people correctly from the start...

It's just staggering that, surrounded by good data on physics, body mechanics and physiological data derived from good scientific method, so many people in Western post-industrial society still buy into pseudoscience. But, the papers still run astrology columns, so that's a good barometer for the state of public knowledge.

Just because a system has been taught a certain way for a while, doesn't mean it's right. Tradition sometimes is BAD tradition.

Last edited by Cady Goldfield : 11-25-2006 at 01:16 PM.