Thread: Online Decline?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #24
akiy

Re: Online Decline?

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
The proliferation of search engines has really changed the need to collect information, even information from a small niche activity, into a single location.
[snip]
Another part of that is that there really isn't much new information coming out on Aikido in general these days.
I guess that's one place where we differ, Chris. I don't see the primary "value" in a website like AikiWeb being a place to house or exchange information but to have meaningful interactions with others in the world of aikido. These interactions will, of course, include the exchange of information, but the value that I see (and wish to continue to cultivate) is in being a part of a diverse, worldwide community of aikido practitioners.

That's why I've been very vocal here about conducting ourselves with respect within our discussions. If you (a generic you, not aimed at you, Chris, or anyone in particular) feel like you want to just disseminate information without thinking about and caring about the community, I'd suggest finding a different venue than AikiWeb to express your ideas. I would rather have a rich, diverse, and respectful discussion forum than one with rich information without such qualities of civil interactions.

Creating a community takes care.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!