View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #85
kewms
Re: YouTube: Golden Center Sword

Quote:
Josh Philipson wrote: View Post
Frankly; both of those practices are a 'bridge' of sort between elements of the bodyskill and the specific religious cosmologies themselves. They are practices coming from a religious context and that is reflected in many ways..and in their requirements and respective conclusions reached.
Precisely. They are equivalent practices in that they serve similar purposes within their respective contexts. I am well aware of the many and vast differences between the Vedic and Shinto world views, but they simply aren't relevant to the point which I was trying to make: if you concede that pranayama is a valid practice within *its* context, then you shouldn't dismiss kotodama practice quite so easily as the person to whom I was responding did.

To use perhaps a less inflammatory example, Spanish tapas and Chinese dim sum are entirely different: they don't taste the same, they don't use the same ingredients, they aren't prepared in the same way. And yet they are "equivalent" because they serve similar functions within their respective cultures.

(Note also that I take no position on the validity -- or lack thereof -- of either the Vedic or the Shinto world view, relative either to each other or to the objective world.)

Katherine