View Single Post
Old 08-16-2003, 10:29 PM   #2
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: Private Training

Quote:
Andy Orwig (actoman) wrote:
Hello all,

I am new to both this board and Aikido. I very much enjoy training and want to continue. However, my schedule with school and work, as well as limited classes on weekends, have forced me to take private, one-on-one training.

My question is, is this going to aid in my training, or hinder it?

Thanks

Andy
I will be uninhibitedly honest with you. While private training is better than no training, I can say, without hesitation, that those who only take private lessons are always the worst students of the lot. Having trained with those who have spent 10 years, training three to five days a week as private students, just never amounted to anything outside of moderately passable. Sorry guys.

Now, I want to add a few caveats to my above statement.

A. it wasn't the training. I used to watch my teacher's privates, and they were classes from hell, on a hot day. I am talking blistering attacks and counters by my teacher - something I had never seen as his student. The pace never let up, either. So if you ask me, it has nothing to do with the subject matter, syllabis, nor the context from which the classes were taught.

B. Sempai-Kohai. People will strongly disagree. It matters little, as they would not be correct. If you are Kohai to all, and sempai to none, you will never learn. Kohai are your laboratory instruments - to the next level. They give you readings, but can actually give you verbal feedback, too, if you care (or know) enough to question and listen. Kohai are your playground - where no adults are watching and you can be yourself, or better yet, discover who you are when you are being yourself.

C. Mai - It is important to keep a distance between yourself and your teacher. That should be the protocol, but more importantly, it is in regards to having time away, so that when you return you can have a better feel for your level of improvement.

D. If you have a solid base in an art, or are an advanced practitioner of another art, private instruction, whether as an add-on to your regular training, or if you are not able to train regularly, then as a stand-alone method of instruction is certainly advisable.

E. Syllabus - there are simply many aspects of the art that require you to have a feel for the many different body types, mentalities, ways of attacking and grabbing, that you would experience with various student partners. Not to mention the impossibility of practicing anything having to do with techniques that are against multiple opponents such as ni-nin dori, randori, etc., that can't even be practiced when it is only you and your teacher. Also, aikido is not merely about techniques on the physical plain. Aikido is about making connections, blending, and unifying breath and movement, mind and body. Having multiple perspectives to learn from and interact with will foster progression, much like 6-8 classes a day through college encourages growth at a certain level and pace. This would be very contrary the progression if you merely took one subject a day, every day, but were expected to perform at, or even have the understanding of your dojo contemporaries.

It may also be relevant to consider that your teacher will always see, point out, or attack your openings at will. This is not a bad thing, but can simply be extremely difficult to deal with on an emotional level, as it seems as though you never improve.

I was teaching only privates out of my home for about four years. When it became apparent that my own students had reached the "private" plateau, I asked them one question - would you be happy if you never improved beyond the level you are at now, regardless of the amount of time and energy you invest in your training. Of course, you know the answer, because if you didn't, you wouldn't have posted your question. As it came to be so obvious that neither they, nor I would ever be satisfied with that, I moved forward and opened a public dojo to attract other students who could help us, each in our own personal way, reach our own goals, whatever they may be.

I must conclude from where I commenced - If it is all you have, then I say go for it with all you have. You can train in many of the principles of Aikido when reading, watching TV, or driving a car. If at some point another option comes up, sample it and see if that is the direction you feel most comfortable with. In the end, you must find yourself, become yourself, and train yourself, then begin to understand the path on which you had set out so many years before.

Last edited by Misogi-no-Gyo : 08-16-2003 at 10:36 PM.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.