View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #46
Brian Beach
United_States
Re: Just how real is violence? And where does Aikido stands in all of this?

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post

Not necessarily. I think this is a major problem with some of the violence in the US. People pick fights because they think they will [successfully] get away with it. Your actions may facilitate their decision-making process, but they are considering whether or not it is "worth it" to pick a fight with you. I think the above example of intimidation is not uncommon in urban environments and clearly falls outside the realm of "civil".

We intimidate because we can. It advances our personal status. Wanna know why I am chatting your girlfriend? Because I am better than you. Wanna know why I am staring you down? Because I am higher status than you. Wanna know why I am stealing from you? Because I want your money. These are not "civil" behaviors, but they are primal behaviors. Don't excuse the behavior, but recognize it for what it is...
I agree - That's why I labeled them as aggressive. By engaging in those acts you are choosing to go outside the civil norms and not respecting the boundaries. If you go outside the boundaries you can't be surprised when the person you are engaging also go outside the boundaries. You called them out there.

"Why are those hornets so angry and following me? All I did was tap at their nest with a stick"