View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #167
DH
United_States
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
I've been around internal quite a bit. I have studied a great deal under a very well known teacher. I have fought with the dog brothers done mixed martial arts, and competitive jiujitsu.
I think you've been around good jujutsu quite a bit. It's more than likely from what I have seen in your own videos and Tim's that you are confusing good jujutsu and good tactics, with IP/ aiki. I would be the last to quibble since I happen to like good "juts" and live weapons. I just don't confuse technical applications and principles with Internal power/ aiki.
It is even easier when considering a limited art like Aikido-limited meaning typically no punches, kicks, and free style weapons.
In more complicated venues, its easy to see how people equate/confuse good technique with Internal power or aiki though. good waza can feel ghosty and see you trapped and thrown. And lets face it good hard punching is "good enough" for most everyone. I've not seen your internal power connection demonstrate anything I would consider internal power, instead its "internal martial arts" technical moves. I'm not saying he doesn't know anything internal but using your own ideas of "video evidence as evidence" he has never shown it. It's well known he has very good jujutsu, I see he has now dumped shen wu and gone all BJJ -but for this topic...so what?

As far as how and where the technical meet internal power-another teacher related to him tried to throw me in that Bagua "cross the arm over the body line" and toss me from the shoulder and waist move... he bounced himself off of me at his own seminar without me even doing much at all. This of course could lead to many defining openings in live play, but "winning" or "losing" is still not the point, Chris. Good jujutsu will do that just fine. That teacher had very good jujutsu principles and moves. I just never confused that with internal power.

Quote:
I've been around the block, and I'd love to share. However I am constantly stone walled by those unwilling to demonstrate any actual ability outside of their comfort zone. Sure there is lots of talk about challenges and sparring sessions, but it's just talk as far as I can tell.

Why is making a video so complicated? If you can do anything that I haven't seen before, I would love to talk about it.
Well I'm not sure why this is a pissing contest. "All talk" means what- it's not true? Is that really what you want to say? Ark, Rob, myself and my guys have sparred with any number of MMA, BJJ, Judo, Karate and Silat/ Kali people in-house and on their turf. I am spending the weekend teaching at a karate and MMA seminar BECAUSE of the results of my sparring with a few of their top men. Why do I have to be interested in doing videos? To prove what, to whom? And about what? IP/ aiki will add to anyones game, but it doesn't teach you how to fight.

Quote:
Again, a bunch of chit chat, but no one says "yeah I'll make a video"
If anyone can do any kind of demonstration that I can't duplicate, then I'll shut up and listen. However I repeatedly hear "I can tell by your movement that you don't have (insert magic word here)" or " you could not possibly do what I do because I can (insert magic jibber-jabber here)". Why not show how you can do these things; well maybe because you can't.
I understand your point Chris, but the fact that you cannot tell the difference or see the difference in movement yourself when watching something with limited technical applications like aikido (where it is even MORE clean and obvious to see the difference in application compared to MMA) when more and more of those who are training this way can see the difference...doesn't really make the point you want to make.
Dan