View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 09:26 AM   #1216
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Of course not. He didn't use "philosophical terms" to approach aiki. If you mean "the ura of kiai," that's a purely technical description, like all that he did.
How is "the ura of kiai" a "technical term? It's very common in Japanese to say things have an ura and an omote side... it just means more or less there's and obvious side and a "not easy to see" side. You could say that about just about anything and it's an observation, not a "technical description", for chrissake. It's like me saying that jin is "the concealed".... cool but that doesn't do anything but posture as "knowledgeable" and it conveys no real information.
Quote:
And I'll be able to do that when I start using your terms? I didn't use any terms at all but to say that Mochizuki Sense said of me, "Anta wa aikido o daibu wakaru. (You pretty well understand aikido. or You understand aikido for the greater part.)"

I never said I understand what you do, but Mochizuki Sensei said that I understood what Morihei Ueshiba was doing: aikido.
If you understood, you could explain. You cannot explain, and that has come up for several years, so let's just assume for the moment that Mochizuki was being nice and diplomatic with you until you're able to explain, shall we? I can tell you *dozens* of stories of people who thought their many-year teacher showed them everything and they didn't even know basics. And of course, they get extremely angry if anyone suggests that (many of them go right to personal attack and never have any facts to offer!).

The type of facts offered earlier in this thread.... that's what we're looking for. Not your assurances that you and Moch were tight.

Best.

Mike Sigman