View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
yankeechick
Smile Re: Looking for alternative to Aikikai

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Ok... I understand your anger but I think it is directed at the wrong place. You really can't decide that all Aikiki members are the same that's just unfair. I train at an aikiki affiliated dojo, and it is nothing at all like what you describe.

Money certainly is not the rule for us. I pay far less than what you quote, for the privilege of training. The test fees seem reasonable, at least for kyu ranks. And I don't see anyone receive preferential treatment based on income. Actually I think I get a great amount of attention from the senseis and I am probably the lowest income person in my dojo.

I don't think the hour requirements are unfair at all and heck what are you in it for anyway? Is rank that important that you are unwilling to wait a few months to receive it? Shoot there are a few in my dojo whom I outrank ,at the moment, who help me to learn a great deal and of course far more who outrank me who are also valuable in helping me learn but only the sensei is doing the teaching. Rank is a nice way to see my own progress but its not everything. I can understand your frustration but I think you will have that no matter what rank you hold. There are always going to be people of lesser skill who have advice to give. Sometimes you just have to ignore them and train anyway. Sometimes it pays to listen to what they have to say, dump the pride and give their ideas a try.

And most certainly those I train with don't train in filth. I doubt it would be put up with at all if someone were to do so.

Rather than focus on hating aikiki itself why not simply go check out dojos of all affiliations and even those that have none and find a place that is more to your liking?

I am sure plenty of people here can make suggestions as to other places that will be better environments for you. But don't just write off all aikiki dojos because of one or two bad apples.
----

Shadow fox,

Excellent advice. I agree with you. I am just fed up with this particular Aikikai and the ones I've investigated in my immediate area operate similarly, because they are directly connected.

I completely agree that everyone has something to offer and learn. My frustration is because the sensei is dragging his feet and I have grown tired of it. But he never ceases to ask me for my dues, but is quite unresponsive to my requests. Someone else posted his/her frustration with "5th kyu shihans". That is what I am complaining about; not having to learn from someone, but is it too much to ask that the person know what in the heck he or she is talking about? LOL...that's my complaint.

the kyu is a barometer, a minimum standard to tell me if I have demonstrated an understanding in the eyes of those who understand the techniques on a deeper level than I presesntly do. that is what I am looking to find out.

thank you again.