View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #212
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Books on Ki by Carol Shifflet

Quote:
Roosvelt Freeman wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm not impressed. Even I "get" it, it doesn't tell me "how" to get there. What' s in that page is nothing new nor haven't been said before by other MA in my naive eyes.

That's something I can practice and get it right (or wrong at this moment).

You guys may want to go easy on the theory part. I doubt any ground breaking new things will come out. I think what most people need is a different method to train. Maybe even an old method with better feedback system. I think most people will benefit if you can sepnd more time on your training method and feedback system in DETAIL.

Thanks for the link.
Hey Roosevelt,

Thanks for your blunt opinoin, I really do appreciate it.
I was discussing this with Ark before, trying to cook up a better way to explain his approach. The major problem with trying to explain the exercises is (and this isn't a diss to you) for the most part, people will try to understand the exercises described within the context of how they've trained up until that point.
I myself trained under an extremely legit CMA guy (Sam Chin in NYC) and while his training was good, if I were to read written descriptions of Ark's training methedology, the person I was back then would simply try to "peg" what I knew into what was being described to me. So really it's a moot point. It has to be felt to be understood. If a picture conveys a thousand words, and video ten thousand, I'd say Touch conveys a million.

Despite this we are thinking of putting up stuff describing certain exercises. But the reality is, even if we do that, you're only going to get a very limited benefit.

For the website, I've written up a piece trying to describe how Aunkai's approach, and the resulting body differs from what the general public percieves as "martial arts". Also I try to offer up examples whereby with this "different" approach while you don't "intend" to become stronger neccessarily, you end up with a skill that allows you to punch much deeper, move in a way that people don't expect, and more or less try to give real world examples of how the body skill can be used...

For the meantime I posted the Ten-Chi-Jin and Shintaijiku exercises, and those in themselves, if you realize what they're training, are extremely effective. If you have any questions regarding what kind of feel you should be getting, feel free to PM me (this goes for anyone).
I will say those exercises, if you haven't done them before, will have you exhausted and shaking after 3-4 reps of Ten-Chi-Jin. For SHintaijiku, 2min done low like he does should have your back aching, legs on fire, figertips nearly numb, and your nerves doing a two step all around your body
If not, you're not doing it correctly

You are extremely correct about one thing though Roosevelt, precise, hands on instruction is needed in this stuff. Whether you take his approach, a CMA approach, JMA approach it doesnt matter. You can vague ideas via words, but ultimately it has to be taught hands on

JM2C

Last edited by Upyu : 12-16-2005 at 07:02 PM.