View Single Post
Old 04-05-2002, 04:11 PM   #1
Magnus
Dojo: Hashidate Aikido
How is Zen, O-sensei, and Aikido connected?

O-negai shimasu!

Since this is my first posting on this forum, I'd like to start with saying "thank you" for all the interesting and inspiring posts I've had the privilige to read the last days.

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to go through all postings in order to find answers to the questions I'm about to ask - if you have already discussed these topics please let me know where I can find these discussions .

I am really a beginner of Aikido (haven't trained a year yet), but still I'm really interested in some philosophical issues concerning this wonderful art:

Zen-buddhism and budo seems to be closely related to each other. The short "mokso" part of the training session for instance appears to be rather reminiscent of "zazen". Still it appears O-sensei based Aikido on some other philosophical/religious system (gathering all religions into this "concept")?
Which is the relation between Zen,O-senseis religion (O... something) and Aikido?
Should it be considered beneficial for my Aikido training to do meditational exercises or even koan studies in addition to the training in the dojo? (Aikido sometimes appears to be a beautiful koan itself: A martial art with the goal of utmost harmony)
Is the understanding of concepts as "Kami" etc necessary in order to fully understand O-sensei's Aikido, and to attain the harmony we all seek to find?

Hope that someone who has "walked the path" before me could give some advice on this.

domo arigato gozaimashita!

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free: Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.
- Chuang-Tzu