View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #300
Lorel Latorilla
Japan
Re: Is aiki a clash of forces?

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
Kimura plainly "got it' -- there is no reason to question it.. How and in what manner-- there's the question. The same question goes for Sagawa and his father in their experience with Takeda, and Ueshiba after them.

Did he? On what evidence? The statement of the man who in the same breath admits to deceiving students who trusted him? Don't get me wrong, noting this disconnect is not meant as disrespect -- but a man who burdens himself with the cloak of dishonesty suggests a greater shame he conceals.

Not "no understanding" -- but not a conceptual understanding from objective principles-- THAT is the Western way -- and it also has its faults -- but inconsistency and lack of distinctions is not among them.
1) There is a tradition of training for these things, Erick. Maybe you should investigate these things. Dan learned Daito-Ryu from some legit guys...maybe you should ask him? He is part of that continuing tradition.You can pick his brain on how we as able to arrive at the skills he posseses now.

2) We can play burden of proof games all day. Sagawa obviously had a language to describe his skills that were phenomenologically convenient for him, otherwise he wouldnt have the skills he possesed. To suggest that his methodology failed is ridiculous--first, it didn't fail him. It actually made hima budo legend in Japan. Second, it didn't fail Kimura. Even if he went out of his way to make the principles more phenomenologically convenient for others, the burden of learning lies in the student. If he doesn't care about learning, he will never put himself into that proper state of absorbing the principles, even if they are being taught in a methodology that is carefully articulated.

3) I am not familiar with the language of physics, but what I have learned from the people I met works..even if the language they use were not derived from language of physics. I personally don't see any problems with metaphors and all that. Makes it easier for people who are not as physics-oriented. The fact that the "metaphoric" or "Asian" way of conveying principles has failed students is pretty delusional, I think.

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.