View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 04:04 PM   #11
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: starting your own aikido style

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
I keep getting this message, but I'm not feeling that I'm making my resort strong enough. No matter how good your aikido is in your dojo, I'm certain that I could move to your area, start up a non-sensical "aikido" dojo that sells delusion and take so many of your would-be new students that you would feel it in your pocket book. Over time, I could build up such a _different_ reputation for what "aikido" is in that area that it would continue to hurt your business if not cripple it (if you don't own your building, etc.). I could teach a bunch of students how to open up their branches and do the same thing. I'm quite certain that would stand the test of time, and would not be what pretty much everyone on this board would ever call aikido.

How can we address this aspect of my question beyond attempting to use the "test of time"? Is there another test, say a "test of principle" that can be applied to decide if a dojo is doing what might be considered "aikido proper"?
The test of "principle" is: Do your best. Those that can tell the difference will know the difference and, as Ron says, vote with their feet. It happens all of the time, all over the world.

On a personal note... No one can hurt my business, because I don't have a business. I have a practice. I know at least a couple of dozen people that will continue to do their practice with me for the rest of my life and continue for the rest of their life. That's enough.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org