Old 12-08-2014, 04:00 AM   #5
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Resistant Knife Training 1 (video)

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Dan,
Your offensive attacking style of knife defense has a strong base in surprise. I would suppose a skilled and trained knife fighter would probably be prepared for your actions, but the standard issue thug on the street would be surprised at your approach. You got "cut" and that is to be expected anytime one faces a knife while unarmed. Were you successful? Yes, to a certain degree and maybe even more successful than with the more common knife defenses.

Unfortunately only two things work well for a displayed knife threat: be somewhere else, or be armed with a firearm and stay further than 21 feet away. Absent those two scenarios, the only question is how badly you will be injured.

You have an interesting concept and I would like to see you explore it further - and of course share it here.

Regards,

Michael
I think you are too kind about the video and too dismissive of the capability of the thug who is very unlikely going to square off.

Dan

There was no resistance and more importantly no aggression in the knife attacks. I had the overwhelming impression that uke was putting himself in a controlled mindset at all times. At best you are exploring some ideas and kudos for that but a rubber knife wont hurt you and you could easily up the game and get a far better impression of what you would truly face.

Technically speaking - the first thing to do is get out of the way and then do you your business. Walking into an armed person is really not an option.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido