View Single Post
Old 05-30-2003, 10:34 AM   #134
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
This slapping is a queer (strange) thing in my experience. I have endured punches and kicks with much less emotion than a slap has aroused. I don't know weather it is principally emotional, or if it is a physical reaction born out of negative stimulation of the bodies largest organ. I know it has in me caused a quick reactionary response one unplanned and wholly spontaneous. Several years ago I had to undergo a spinal tap. The first needle broke and the second stuck in bone. By the third I was white and nearly out. The neurologist seeing my face quickly slapped me. Rather hard as I remember. The next thing I know people were pulling at my arm as my hand was closed around his windpipe and he was pined to the table turning blue. I was horrified when I came around. It was like looking at another person's hand. I have never been slapped again and would rather be punched. I know as a child I would much rather have an adult use their fist and feet rather than an open hand. The hard slap seemed to hurt much worse and last longer. I would never slap a student. I have hit them and kicked them in the course of training and they had done the same to me, But we do not slap.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com