View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #48
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Pain is o.k. if you understand what it is and when it is o.k.
I'm afraid this amounts to saying something without actually saying anything. This statement is so vague as to be meaningless.

Quote:
First false assumption is that pain equals good control. No, pain is bad control.
You've only just made a statement here. You haven't offered any rationale for it. Do you have one? Why is it a false assumption that pain equals good control. Please note that I didn't actually say this. I asked why painful nikyo=bad nikyo. I have felt very painful nikyo that was very effective in controlling me and locking me into immobility. Is this bad nikyo? If so, why?

Quote:
There is good effective and there is bad effective.
If nikyo is effective with pain why is it bad?

Quote:
Pain is useful in training only so that the one receiving pain can learn to 'handle' it rather than be scared of it or even moved by it.
Well, this is one perspective on the issue of pain in training. Do you think everyone should hold your view? If so, why?

Quote:
That is it's only use really. To rely on giving it in order to control is the way to a future wake up and failure.
Oh? Why?

Quote:
So taking the future into account that makes it useless as it prevents you getting to a good control that really works in the future.
I have been totally controlled by my late shihan's nikyo and it was very painful! His nikyo "really worked" and it hurt like heck!

Quote:
The 'lock' in nikkyo is secondary in effectiveness to the true technique.
Which is what, exactly?

Quote:
All the above is tempered only by the fact that along the journey of practicing control techniques they will in the early and maybe mid way along the process of refinement be quite painful but that still doesn't equal good nikkyo, only equals practicing nikkyo.
You haven't yet offered any solid justification for what you're saying. So far, all you've done is make assertions.

Quote:
So I repeat good is painless, a joy to do and a joy to receive. Takes extra discipline.
Is this the sum total of your reasoning behind saying that a painful nikyo is bad? I hope not. Certainly, if avoiding pain in training is one's goal, then you might be right. But if one is seeking to be martially effective, I don't see that painless necessarily equates to effective.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."