View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #18
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: Tips for kids class

Quote:
Jorge Garcia wrote: View Post
I feel exactly like Lisa does. I have also had the privilege of teaching hundreds of kids at the YMCA over a 5 year period. At one time, we had 30 kids from ages 6 to 10 and 25 kids from ages 10 to 14. I never played a single game. We ran a regular class just like the adult class with modified (simpler) versions of the techniques. Just like the adults, we taught breakfalls and all sorts of ukemi and every aspect of Aikido. I think our kids have had a ton of fun but I also am glad they learned Aikido techniques. I have kids that have been with me from 5 to 7 years. Of course, we also have the normal turn over.

I feel that kids can play almost anywhere and usually do. I wanted the dojo to be a different place for them where they could practice self discipline as well.

What we teach and do in our classes is here.
http://www.shudokanaikido.com/docume...quirements.pdf

My kids have learned that you don't have to play all the time and that you don't always have to be entertained. They have learned to have fun behaving and learning.

Best wishes,
Jorge
Please teach me how to have the kids pay attention and keep quiet during class be it in demonstration or practice.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.