View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #13
Gwion
Dojo: New York Ki-Aikido
United_States
Re: Poll: Do you think your physical aikido abilities will keep getting more effectiv

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
I differ with you there on -- spiritual grounds.

The distinction between mind/spirit and matter is itself a false premise.
I gave up the idea of "making" friends. I cannot "make" uke do anything. Uke does everything -- I just help out

That, for me, is the heart of aiki. I simply do for him what he wanted to do -- just not the way he wanted it done.

All I offer is my hand -- how he takes it and what he does from that point are entirely up to him. He has the opportunity to transform his spirit, but that transformation can only be meaningfully expressed in the body.

I do not "try" to do anything, because to "try" anything would disturb his expression of spirit through his body -- which is the only way I can ever know if he changed his mind.

"Do -- or do not -- there is no try."

{I stilI love that quote.}
Very nice Eric, but if you want to 'win' a conversation that way, why stop there? This entire discussion board is based on the false premise that words are capable of communicating the absolute experience of reality, which is impossible. So all discussion is a futile exercise in false symbols that don't represent reality anyway.

and btw, I never said try. But thanks for the star wars quote.
Gonna quote monty python next?