Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #96
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Three Levels of Aikido

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Daren,

When I knew Pierre Chassang, way way back in the seventies, we conversed in French and in the lengthy discussions I used to have with Arikawa Sensei when he was alive, we conversed in Japanese. You have given Pierre's quote in English and so I wonder if anything has been lost in the three-way translation.

I have three comments. One is that Arikawa Sensei's response to Pierre is ambiguous. Pierre distinguished between the aikido taught by Morihei Ueshiba and that practised at the time (in France, I suppose, or the aikido practised in Europe generally after the war). Arikawa Sensei's response can be understood at the conceptual level (it is impossible to have two concepts of aikido, regardless of what is actually being practised) or at the practical level (the type of activity done in Europe cannot be called aikido).

The second comment is that Arikawa Sensei was very devoted to Kisshomaru Ueshiba and was a close confidant. Stanley Pranin and I once conducted a six-hour interview in Tokyo and we ranged over the entire history of aikido, including its early relationship with Daito-ryu. Arikawa Sensei did not give permission for it to be published because, he said, it was "too early" and did not want to publish anything that could be construed as criticism of Kisshomaru Ueshiba. He taught his regular class at the Hombu and gave seminars here in Hiroshima until he became ill. After practice we used to talk a lot (in private, usually with the resident shihan in Hiroshima) and he was always happy to respond to questions, especially awkward questions.

The third comment is that I know from other sources that defining aikido in a certain way is especially an issue in France, where something like budo sportif is fostered by the French government. There are a number of French aikidoka who want the Aikikai to define much more closely what aikido is and to exclude in a clearer way what does not qualify. This is my own private opinion, but I think the Aikikai is reluctant to do this, since it will be making a general rule to fit a particular case. In any case, the Aikikai has its hands full with defining how aikido is, and is, not essentially Japanese.

Best wishes,

PAG
Hi Peter

I'd love to have been around on the Aiki scene in the 70's ...sounds a very special time whenever people discuss it.

You may of course be correct, but from my own fairly length exposure to Pierre I'm absolutely confident in what I understood Pierre to mean and in HIS interpretation of Arikawas comments.

I take your 2nd point particularly, from my reading it was 'just a conversation' albeit an important one so perhaps Arikawa was more free with his thoughts than in a formal interview.

Point 3. Yes - I hear clearly.

I guess my personal experience is that none of us should be so judgemental here or elsewhere. Whether we like it or not there is a great degree of commonality across the Aikido of the world...and where there is not...well, some mat time can iron out many truths.

Thank you for your response.

Daren.

ps. As an aside - do you ever return to UK and teach? Michael Narey asked me to extend an invitation to you should you ever come this way. (PM is fine if you want to say no )