View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 03:09 AM   #10
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany
Re: Kaeshiwaza

Quote:
Brian Rozell wrote: View Post
Does anyone know about kaeshiwaza. Any DVDs, books or help in understanding. I am fairly new to aikido and am not advanced enough to be taught these techniques, but would like to learn more so that I can understand where the holes are in my technique.

Dear Brian,
you can think of kaeshi waza as something very complicated and advanced training.
And you can think very simple. Every aikido exercise is kashi waza, as ther is an attack, which is reversed by the aikido technique. And nearl every attack in aikido is also part of an aikido technique - some only as supporting atemi.

If aikidoka do not attack, there seems to be no need for countertechniques. First of all the techniques are the same or at least similar in other fight environmants.
But the major reason seems to be improving the technique at high level. If someone knows the technique well enough, it might be wise to think about their remaining weaknesses. That means uke performs intelligent resistence in order to make openings obvious. And teh next step for nage is to learnhow to close these openings.

So yes kaeshi waza is nothing new, but we only call a lesson kaeshi waza, when we do those high level resistence /quality control. At the same time it is nothing else, than training more realistic situations, where you apply your aikido technique, as the 'attack' is not stopping for you in order to do the technique. If your timing for kaeshi is bad, your partner has already done his technique - or if you are too early, he simply changes his techniques a little bit or a bit more - which then turns to henka waza, another new word for something, that is not really new

Best regards

Dirk