View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Kaeshiwaza

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote: View Post
kaeshiwaza is something that comes 'much' later in a true aikido journey. The basic kihon waza calls for a ten year commitment first.
kaeshi waza is like the third story of a house; kihon waza is the foundation. Do not worry about your openings; you'll find them or they will be revealed to you.
In gassho

Mark
Hi Mark,
I hope you'll forgive me, but I'm not sure I agree. While I do think we probably agree a true neophyte shouldn't practice them, I'm not sure 10 years down the line (which I interpret as your meaning; sorry if I'm wrong) is the best time to introduce that "3rd floor." In my primary dojo, I learned them gradually...usually shortly after I was taught the corresponding technique they're meant to counter, though I'd say they always came after I gained some basic sense of that original technique. At the Shodokan school I attended breifly, they were taught more formally, and I thought it was just as useful as learning them on the fly. In both cases kaeshiwaza was taught to relatively low kyu grades with success, so I think it can really enrich ones training if approached properly.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!