View Single Post
Old 06-28-2004, 07:25 AM   #10
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States
Re: Do we protect true attackers?

I think I generally agree with most of you that if I'm attacked I'm going to fight back with all the tools I have. I also think that the "compassion" comes in when I have the upper hand in the fight. If I do not have the upper hand in the fight then I will employ any means necessary to get there. But really, I have no way of knowing until it happens and perhaps I shouldn't even waste my time thinking about these things. I was just wondering if my "attitude" was in line with aikido philosophy when it comes to this situation. The chances of me engaging in violent conflict with somebody is highly unlikely, but I do think that I would still have the view of "conflict resolution" rather than beating my opponent senseless just because that's my natural personality. I'm just not a mean person.

Quote:
Jordan Steele wrote:
There is no such thing as "street aikido" and 99% of the time you will not sucessfully perform a "technique." If you're fighting on the street and are thinking of preserving your attacker, you've already lost. On the street, either you win or lose and winning is definitely the better option. By the way, winning mean you will have punch, kick, break, throw, choke, injure etc. Ikkyo ura will not effectively work on a determined attacker unless you bust his ribs or kidney first. Just my two cents.
Jordan, I have to disagree with you. If I get into a fight outside the dojo then I will be performing aikido. I might not perform a clean technique but I will definitely be using the principles. I can't even fight Japanese Knockdown sparring without using aikido principles because it's been engrained into my personal fighting style. I will be slipping strikes and stepping off the line because it is second nature, and I see that as aikido. At any rate, I try not to think of anything when I'm fighting, not of winning, not of losing, just the fight at hand. I find this works the best. Also as far as ikkyo, I haven't taken the atemi out of my aikido. I don't think aikido techniques can be forced, just used when the opportunity presents itself.

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.