View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 11:14 AM   #21
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Why does this keep happening?

I know that, over the years, many of my partners did not necessarily welcome my input. But I am a very large guy and as I got more experience I got to the point where I would often find myself training with people who were junior or even peers and they simply couldn't do the technique in question on me.

It wouldn't be productive for me to simply sit there and shut them down. That would really seem like an ego trip, at least in my mind. So I initially train without saying anything and if my partner encounters some trouble I give them a chance to figure out a solution. If they still have trouble I give them some feedback. I want my partner to succeed, this isn't to make them feel little. I think that, especially once one isn't at the Beginner level it is disrepectful to "train down" to them. I try never to tone down my energy and just go through the motions politely with someone. That really is insulting in my mind although they might not think so. No, I try to give them a good attack and then, if they need help, assist them in being successful. I can't tell you the number of times I gave my partner some feedback and on the next throw I hit the mat like a ton of bricks. Then I smile and go "that's it, great!" I have to believe that my partner is better off after that than if I toned down my attack and simply fell down for them. It's my own practice too and I don't have any interest in training that way.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com