View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 08:05 PM   #15
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
Re: Why does this keep happening?

Quote:
If I or anyone would do, as you mentioned above, this to ANYONE, junior or senior, my sensei would be PI$$ED with me. He by no means runs a strict dojo, but THAT is considered 1-bad form 2-poor technique and 3-rude.
And I think that just goes back to Mary's point, which I agree with, that many dojo's operate by distinctly different rules. And it can be really confusing when you visit or change schools. Apparently in her dojo such behavior is not bad form, poor technique or even rude. My dojo is pretty talky and sensei actively encourages the senior to help the junior especially in the Basics classes, and juniors are allowed to speak up to the senior when they are going to hard, or as I'm discovering now, not hard enough. I have discovered that many transfers into our dojo still train according to the standards of their previous dojo, and I can sense their frustrations, especially if they are of the "no or hardly any talk" variety. As a result they will try to get sensei to change than rather attempt to conform to the dojo.

I, too, have experienced similar frustrations with people who have previously trained with different standards to the point where you just have to stop practicing with each other because both people end up getting mad. Sometimes people have gotten hurt as a result of insisting on doing things their own way. That IS rude not only to your partner, but to the sensei as well. Needless to say, that person doesn't train in our dojo anymore.

Although when I visit other dojos, I try very hard to not say anything to my partner and try my best to conform to their rules. I just try to let my ukemi to speak for itself but not overly resist either.

I'm thinking maybe he hasn't had the benefit of knowing that other dojos are different. Take the time to get to know him and find out what his previous dojo was like, and then segue the conversation into how people train in your dojo. A simple conversation does wonders to rectify a situation.

Last edited by giriasis : 10-07-2004 at 08:12 PM.

Anne Marie Giri