View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Popkin Roppokai DRAJJ in South Florida 4.22-23

Quote:
Jorge Garcia wrote: View Post
My feeling is that the general goals of Roppokai aikijujutsu and Aikido are different. In Aikido, we are generally trying to control their whole body with our whole body (center to center) by establishing a connection (union) in receiving the energy. I found that generally, in Roppokai Aikijujutsu, they are attacking the center of the opponent using small powerful circles.
Not sure that's a contradiction. Ikeda Hiroshi always says that big movements are for beginners. I know he'll put you on your face with just twist of his wrist...

Quote:
It was their stance that troubled me sometimes because always starting in Shizentai said to me that they weren't necessarily practicing a complete martial science as much as they were practicing a portion of a martial science.
I'm of two minds on this. I like a fighting stance when training. But the SHIZENTAI is pretty realistic for the beginning of most aggressive engagements. Remember that YouTube vid of some notoriety where one high school kid squares off against a bully by falling into a kung fu stance? My first reaction was laughter. (Scared the bully's shorts brown, though) Though I find it uncomfortable, I find beginning in SHIZENTAI eminently reasonable. (Don't like walking into an UKE falling backward right in front of me, though. Maybe I ought to start wearing a cup...)

Quote:
...I really don't believe that the average Aikikai shihan uses their principles. My shihan does and I would say Gozo Shioda certainly did but the modern guys don't do anything like what we studied in the Roppokai. I certainly liked their stuff and thought every Aikidoist I knew would love it too.
The average SHIHAN, no, probably not. I agree. I've felt it with Ikeda and Saotome, though, and it sure looks like Shioda and Sunadomari have it, too.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/