View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Spiritual Experience

Hi Lee,

I guess you may have to a little precise with the question, Genuine spiritual experience. If your definition is seeing the supernatural (e.g divine kami or deities) then I have to say NO. If your definition is seeing balls of light or lines of light ala The Matrix, then my answer is also NO.

However, my nearest experience that I can define as Genuine spiritual experience is as follow:-

As tori/shite/nage
When you throw someone and completely feel no resistant, but the uke is thrown forcefully. I completely went through the technique as though uke wasn't there, but he/she did take some heavy fall. I remember these situation when I did sokumen iriminage and iriminage technique a while back.

As uke
Sometimes when I am uke for sensei, I will attack very aggressively. I recall once I did tanto shomenuchi at very aggressive pace. There was no rehearsal, and I have no clue what sensei will do. I vaguely remember he did a variation of irimi-zuki and the next instance I was on the floor. I did not feel anything except me slamming on the mat. There was no touch at all. Maybe it was my conditioned reflex that allows me to just drop to avoid the atemi. Or maybe it was a no touch throw?

Anyhow, I was enlightened to see how easy it was to drop someone especially in dynamic motion.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.