View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
Gerardo Torres
United_States
Re: Ten Shinsho Jigen Ryu-combat sword and aiki

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
Quote:
When he was 18, he began to study the Iai techniques of the Hayashizaki school under Sakurai Gorozaemon. After being given an overview of those techniques, he travelled throughout Japan, to study under different masters and perfect his skills. For some time, he trained in the Naginata-jutsu of the Buddhist monks from Mount Hiei, techniques that were applied often by the priests during the Warring States period.
When means the founder of this style was schooled in the Jinsuke-Eishin lineage of swordmanship.
I have a couple of questions about your statement above:

My understanding is that the Jinsuke-Eishin line originated after Hasegawa Chikaranosuke Eishin (Hidenobu), 7th Headmaster of the Hayashizaki Ryu, developed his own style which was later incorporated into the Jinsuke-Eishin line of teaching by Arai Seitetsu Kiyonobu, 8th Headmaster of the Hayashizaki Ryu. Do you have any sources that indicate a more specific date of when the Jinsuke-Eishin line originated, or of the birth date of Hasegawa Eishin? (Since Hayashizaki was born in 1542, I think it is safe to assume that Hasegawa, Hayashizake Ryu's 7th generation successor, lived later in the 17th century as some sources suggest.)

According to the information linked above, Mima Yoichizaemon Kagenobu (founder of the Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo) studied Hayashizaki Ryu when he was 18 year old, or around 1595. Doesn't this mean that Yoichizaemon most likely studied the original Hayashizaki Ryu (perhaps still called Shimmei Muso Ryu back then?) and not a later transformation of it (Jinsuke-Eishin line or Eishin Ryu)?