View Single Post
Old 05-10-2001, 06:21 AM   #8
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Re: Choosing techniques

Quote:
Originally posted by ian
What I want to know is:
(i) are there any formal explaination of this (e.g. in books?)
(ii)Is there any way to define an aspect of an attack which suits it to a specific technique?
(iii) how do you lot train to respond to a specific aspect of an attack with a certain technqiue*
This is an ODD question, or at least seems so to me.
(i) Your initial setup is important- surely that's obvious? Certain techniques don't lend themselves to certain situations readily because you need to alter the situation to perform the technique. If somebody keeps their arms by their sides (for an ott example), why the hell would you try ikkyo, say?
(ii) If the opening an attack leaves gives you a suitable opportunity for a technique, then that technique is suited. For another terrible example, if a man with his arms taped to his sides tries to headbutt you, ikkyo just won't be an option.
(iii) You can group attacks together. Some attacks have a vertical feel, and you might generally enter in the identical manner to shomenuchi response. Some are more simular to Yokomenuchi. What you'll notice (I did after watching a few videos fro this guy- http://www.aikido-jaffraji.com/ French language site,btw.) after a while is that there's not actually much left to do if you enter well.

Here's what he groups with shomenuchi, for instance:
a´hanmi katate dori, katate ryote dori,
kata dori menuchi, muna dori,
jodan tsuki, mae geri.

Yokomenuchi:gyaku hanmi katate dori, ryote dori, sode dori, ryo sode dori, kata dori,
ryo kata dori, chudan tsuki.

Having watched the shomenuchi tape I can tell you that time and again he uses the same small number of entries to deal with a number of simular attacks.

Personally, I think randori does nothing so well as improve kokyonage.
andrew