View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #455
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Tony

In the 1950s I recall Kenshiro Abbe Sensei mention ``Ki`` just once when making a technique. I asked him what he meant by `Ki` , he replied " Not necessary speak of Ki, I teach it in my technique ".
He taught correct breathing whilst making a technique.
We had a senior English dan grade of Ki Aikido visit our dojo some years ago, he asked if he could demonstrate his Ki, non of his techniques worked, sadly for him he didn't bring a ``trained `` ukie with him.

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
Henry,

The first time I came across the word "ki" was when I met people that purported to practice "traditional" "ki" aikido.... This was 5 or so years later into T/S aikido.... around 1980 when I had Shodan level.....
When practising with them I was easily able to throw them, but for some strange reason they were unable to throw me?
I was not resisting, just making good posture and moving with there movement.... I was told something similar to your experience which was you are being awkward and not going with anything...... I can't practice with you..... to me that was a cop out and excuse to their inability.....

So when people say things to me and cannot do what it is they are supposed to, it seems to me it is all in their minds and not in there bodies!!
I believe that people with high ability have discovered subtle use of those same mechanics which everyone possesses and have honed their skills to a level which can't be seen by those who have never practised beyond their "social club" level and "skill".....
I can see it, have practised it, its how we practice!! It has nothing to do with spirits, spooks, invisible magic power or otherwise.....
I practice as Tomiki Sensei taught, Hideo Oba Sensei taught, Mike Tracey 5th Dan, Brian Eustace 7th Dan, and Itsuo Haba 6th Dan and a few others I have met on the way...... taught.....That is rationally!!
The use of tegatana, correct and precise kata coupled with good centralised posture, also working against a resisting partners and players in equal measure........
I have used my skills with people who are much bigger, and physically stronger than myself, who have never practised aikido in their lives!! (self defence classes I have held in the past with no convenient uke!!)
I am easily able to produce results that are effective. (I add that I am responsible and I do not hurt people)
I achieve these results, without effort, without any mystical power, hocus pocus or otherwise.....
If people want to believe it is somehow there from somewhere else.... Well who am I to argue!! Keep on dreaming and enjoy their comfortable bubbles.... which may or may not pop one day.... then look out as it won't be nice!!!!!
I know it's all mumbo jumbo and nothing else!!!!

I apologise if that insults their sensitive sensibilities, but to be quite honestly I don't give a hoot as I am quite secure in my own knowledge, Ta very much.....
What's your feelings on this? Ha ha!! Need I ask!! As I know what you Derek, and your students are capable of...... and it aint no mystical clap trap.....

Tony

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 12-19-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling