View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
R.A. Robertson
Dojo: Still Point Aikido Center
Re: Guests in the House

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
I got you.
Problem for me is that most pacifists (on a personal level of pacifism) that I've met couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.
Funny you bring up pacifism, when I'm talking budo.

My concern (and I realize this is off-topic from your article's central thesis) is for the wise direction of power. You might say, if I read you correctly, that power has to come first. Another might say that wisdom must precede. If I had to choose, I'd choose the latter, but I really think they best arise concurrently.

The hazard is as with those who seek a better quality of life, only to become trapped in the money game. Or the yogis who seek enlightenment only to become fixated on the siddhis.

Or a military whose best minds truly understand the aim of defending and restoring peace, but whose politicians and industry fosters destruction over building.

You know the saying "painted cakes do not satisfy hunger." There is the legitimate concern in aikido that many are willing to settle for painted cakes. Aikido without substantive power is a painted cake.

Likewise, power without wisdom. Or perhaps, power without wisdom is is a real cake, but poisoned.

In any case, all best wishes for your quest. I know if you find the goods, you'll share, and we'll all be the better for it.

Ross