View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 06:19 AM   #28
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Does size matter...

The longer I train in martial arts, the more I respect physical strength. Size does not matter, but being able to use that size does. I am not a big strong guy. I'm about 5'10" 160 pounds and I could stand to lose a few more. I am confident in my technique and I do great in judo and bjj competitions.

The last few weeks I've spent an increasing amount of time with people 200+ pounds. Most of them stone cold beginners. I've never been pushed so hard. I've had to change how I do a lot of things, my strategy, my technique, my mindset. And even more then that I find these new strategy's don't work nearly as well with guys my size. For example you don't pull guard on a 240 pound man, his weight alone can stop all hip movement and crush your cup into your body so hard you might have trouble walking. You are not going to hit harai goshi on a guy 220 pounds and 6 foot tall at least not without a few more years practice. And I've even been arm curled out of an armbar. Which means that guys arm was stronger then my entire freaking body. The worst part is most of the tactics I use in bjj to beat these larger guys will get me killed on the street. I would be beat into a pulp.

I've discovered that superior technique and tactics can take you a long way. All other things being equal that will take you a leap ahead of any conflict. But the gap can be bridged quickly with speed, strength, and the proper will/mindset. This is why I think physical fitness is just as important as good technique. Step one to good self defense, lose that excess body fat, get good muscle tone. You have a greater chance of dying from heart disease anyways. This is why I feel body weight exercises and cardio training should be stressed just as important as a proper ikkyo. If you are paying someone to teach you self defense, first order of business is to make sure you can walk up a flight of stairs.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein