View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 05:26 AM   #304
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Phillip Wrote:

Quote:
Long term interest isn't the hard part, hence the success of mcdojos.
Good point, you have to be careful about what your are studying and why. Certainly it is possible to fill someone with "warm and fuzzies" and send them home feelling good about themselves and positive about the world, and with very little actual tools or experience without the abiity to solve problems or sustain themselve. There are lots of rah, rah seminars of the "you CAN do it" type that people spend millions on. Sort of like diet and exercise trends. Not for me, but...okay.

I like to think that the founders of the martial systems of karatedo, aikido, and judo, have proven themselves long term and were not "trendy McDojos". I don't think they ever professed to be able to make you a black belt in 10 days. The term "Cavet Emptor" comes to mind. Everyone is responsible for themselves, there actions, and there training. If they recieve benefit out of a McDojo, did it accomplish there goal??? I think yes.

One thing I like about martial arts is it is concrete and quantifiable, either your good or your not. It takes me about 2 minutes of working with someone to tell if they earned their rank or have the experience they profess. (refer back to my vignette on Saotome sensei.).

The point is, that everyone is responsible for their own path. The founders of the arts had a concept in mind and adopted things that they felt lead people down a path that would make them better people.

As far as fighting and competition. We discuss that alot on aikiweb it seems. I think it has to do with Yin and Yang. You have to understand both sides of it in order to acheive the balance between the two. Most eastern philosophy stresses balance, moderation, and harmony/peace. In order to resolve violence, you have to understand it. Aikido is a wonderful allegory for that. You take a violent attack and you control it, redirect it, and resolve it with as little violence as possible. It demostrates in the most extreme physical and emotional states, you still have options available if you want to take time to understand. I think our world leaders could learn alot from this allegory, but that is politics and I don't like to discuss them!

Other arts such as judo seem to embrace competition. Sure their is a winner and a loser, but not really. I love doing BJJ tournaments. Wow, what a brotherhood. I never leave the mat without a hug, smile, or a pat on the back. There is a mutual respect and a bond between "competitors". So I too think that competition can serve a purpose towards peace framed the right way. Why do you think we have the Olympics? Promoting peace is a huge part of it.

About understanding KI. Okay, I respect you say "no you must explicity know what KI is in order to use it." I so "no you do not". No need to argue further on this point.

I kinda follow the philosophy of Yoda, "do, not think". I certainly enjoy discussing KI, while I agree no one can probably really empirically define it, or no two people will ever agree, it is wonderful to talk about and explore the possibilities. Sure, plenty of people can talk about it, a good example of "talk not do" seems to be the issue with Mr. Tennenhouse from what I have been reading. What diffference does it make if you cannot do "it".

One of my old Aikido Sensei's would agree with you on "I just think it is a good way to pin." I have no problem with that.

My old karate instructor used to talk about the concepts of GI and RI. I always get them confused, but one had to do with technical knowledge, being able to walk and talk through the mechanics, the other does with inate, or instinctual understanding. while instinctual understanding is vital to being a good martial artist. It helps to have the technical understanding (explicit) knowledge to get there some times. That is why I think KI discussions are good, regardless of the outcome of proving/disproving. I always learn something new!

Sonja, thanks for the nice comment!