View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Re: "higher" callings...

Quote:
Jean de Rochefort wrote:
I wouldn't say that some changes in legislation reflect a change in nature. Reflect a change in access to power: yes. Reflect a change in nature: Not a chance. Further, I think it probably serves to cushion people from the reality of the world.

On that note, I think that the idea that "today's society" and it's superficial advances (relative to nature) serve to give individuals the misconception that what we're going hasn't been experienced time and time again in the past.

Legislation, technology? It's all superficial.
We'll just have to agree, to disagree. Or, at least: agree to a difference in terminology.

Legislation not reflecting a change in "nature?" Certainly not: man has been essentially the same creature since we evolved into our present form of homo sapiens. That's likely to never change.

Changes in legislation, however: DOES reflect a change in attitude, and perspective. Just look at the changes in civil rights legislation, for example: from the ill-conceived Dred Scott decision (which considered a black man to be 3/4 of a person), to the civil rights legislation of the '60's. The change reflects a change in how we perceive ourselves, and others.

Regarding legislation "cushioning reality:" not sure what you mean. Pls elaborate.