Old 03-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #93
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: How to be non-competitive in a competitive world

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Hi Kevin.
Concrete on how budo alleviates it? Love to. Unfortunately I find debating with someone who believes in budo the way you do for example means that you would have to understand and accept the way and type of budo I believe in. When we understand each others budo then debate can ensue.

Unfortunately we both understand your type of budo yet it's not reciprocated. All I see is false understandings, just like in the post above, where a standard courageous view in the buddhist world or indeed any religious world or spiritual pursuit knows and calls the competitive mind crazy and stupid and worse than that even. Yet another not aware of these views understanding wise will then take that statement as some kind of judgemental something or other.

Statements like cat is in another tree show we are not 'on the same page'.

Here's the thing, the views I express and others of similar perspective, are concrete. They are not accepted by some as concrete thus not seen as real. Therein lies the problems in discussion.

That's all really.

Regards.G.
Agreed, we are not on the same page. I accept that.

So, I ask for a clearer definition of the competitive mind. I offer the standard buddhist definition along the lines that life is suffering and desire/wants/cravings is what causes suffering....I got all that, I am a practicing buddhist BTW.

I see two distinct issues. Personal level of suffering and the manifestation of it in society or Societal.

Can you accept this as a definition of competitive mind? that is, on a personal level, that desires/wants/cravings cause suffering and the things that people do to act on them is the thing you are calling BAD...or the competitive mind?

If not, then please explain what you mean at the root level what the causes are of competitive mind so we can better understand the causations.

From there, we can then begin to discuss the various solutions on the spectrum. From mediation and other transformative processes.

And, yes, even the Dali Lama admits that sometimes violence is necessary in order to STOP violence if you take the time to listen to what he says. He understands the complex nature of things.

So, it isn't about if I agree to what your definition of budo is or isn't....it is about YOU giving examples or defining HOW your perspective provides solutions to the various problems on the spectrum.

So, again, I ask. How does the physical practice of aikido help us in alleviating suffering. How does practicing the "WAR WAY" or the "VIOLENCE of Marital Arts" help us in alleviating suffering and injustice in the world? How do we STOP Violence?

That is all that is being asked. It is a very simple question really.