View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Aikido™ and Aiki…do. Where are we at?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
I wasn't really interested in trying to convince anyone or enter into a debate with those who haven't felt these skills. ... I was also asking for feedback from those who have begun to research on how it has impacted their view of Aiki in the larger sense, and how it has affected their view of Aikido™.
So to clarify the thread topic ... in other words, instead of working to establish the points of legitimate contention with those who may disagree with you, you are asking those who already do, or are disposed to agree with you -- if they agree with you.

Daring choice, really.

pace John -- Physics has the benefit that it can be checked up on for the validity of a concept asserted, and then observed in practice for the validity of the concept as practiced. As to "basics" well, -- physics can be surprisingly complex for seemingly trivially simple things -- a hanging chain is child's play to demonstrate but analyzing it requires a grasp of hyperbolic functions and the natural logarithm -- definitely NOT child's play -- but worth the effort to understand how richly things are really connected.

I think much of what aikido teaches is in that category -- the simplicity is inherently deceptive -- but not intentionally so -- it just is what it is.

That frustrates some people, and entices others.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.