Thread: One True Thing
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2003, 02:56 PM   #9
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Once several years ago I was at winter camp. This was just after I had a sever bought with Myasthenia Gravis and nearly gave up the ghost. I told Sensei I was sick and weary of the struggle and ready to just give up the fight and hoped it would all just end. Sensei had everyone leave the dojo that night and he lock the door. He ask me to get into a gi and be ready in one hour. I was ready in one hour. He was already on the floor. The dojo was mostly dark with lots of shadows. He told me to think about my children and my students and wife and then he said when I was ready attack with all my skill. You would have to have been there to understand the seriousness of the situation. There was no light heartedness here. A reckoning was about to take place. Between a severe teacher and a sick and very very angry ex soldier. I stood there in that dark dojo and thought about my children, my students and my wife and I un-balled up my fist looked at my teacher and started to laugh. I never laughed so hard in my life and then Saotome Sensei laughed and ask me if I now understood. I said yes and I have never looked back or regretted a day of sickness or health again. I found out that day what was truly important in life and my life was not it.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com