View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #43
DH
United_States
Re: Deadly Techniques?

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Aiki deadly techniques -- what nonsense. Some people are still living in a fantasy world. Last 40 years we have seen karate deadly techniques, kung fu deadly techniques, ninja deadly techniques, krav maga deadly techniques, systema deadly techniques, every time somebody promotes new business on the market they use the same syllabus… what a disappointment.
You are speaking from your experience, and that's fine, I understand that perspective and do not fault you for it.
I would rather you used less confrontational language but since you brought it up, I can only respond to you from my own experience with using aiki in hundreds of sparring sessions and demonstrations; some which were tame testing, some which amped up, others which turned into controlled violence.

It has been "my experience" that from Shodan to Shihan, from traditional arts to MMA, I've not met a single one of you who can manage to withstand my aiki. Not one. In fact it was their "fantasy world" that crumbled, and not my own. Even were that not the case, and I was only discussing a high percentage of succes- it would still be substantial enough, but suffice to say that it caused all those well versed in aiki (some very dismissive of it) to pause and re-evaluate their prevous opinions. Aiki is extremely potent and powerful in use if you know what aiki truly is, how to manifest it, and then get out and fight with it and learn what to do once you have it.

Quote:
Matthew wrote:
Would you say any technique can be applied with deadly force if you're doing "aiki...do"? Otherwise, what's one technique that cannot be lethal in some setting? Ideally, every technique should have control over aite's center, etc. right? ....I.E.
Quote:
once you have control of the person and can move them and manipulate them to go where you want them to go.

?
I'm wondering if the difference is semantics.
Okay, lets try to reduce the semantic obscurity and be more clear.

Note* I am not talking about just doing solo training exercises and testing against wrist locks and grabs.
I am discussing free movement, at speed against kicks, punches, throws, locks, and entry attempts all while doing the same back at them. I am discussing everything from the simple throws, to wholesale violence. The feedback I have received from openly teaching for the first time these last three years, is that it is now agreed, that there exists a high level of the "use of aiki" in controlled violence unlike anything those I am meeting has felt before. It has become a sort of collaborative from which to re-build their own expectations of their own work. FWIW, it is my opinion that what I am doing is what aiki used to be and what it was meant to produce in an adept.

Then and now
The discussions of Takeda and Ueshiba and "deadly techniques" are intriguing to me in this context; as contrary to much of the counter arguments stated here- both were known for "frightening power" and control. Again it is worth noting that Takeda killed men who attacked him, and Ueshiba continually made comments about the deadly nature of aiki. I am quite sure they would be amused reading modern adepts opinions.
That modern adepts continue to try and redefine aiki- and reduce expectations of its potential (mostly due to their own inadequecies) remains a continual problem. The troube is ,once we set lower expections we are sure to accept them as the norm.

Personally, while I am interested in continuing to communicate and discuss Aiki, I am not interested in debating endlessly with those who continue to demonstrate that they have no ability whatsoever to successfully debate this in person. I am only trying to be straightforward and get the message across that
a) aiki is real
b) it is not some wrist grab game with big body movements
c) it is NOT waza oriented at all-rather it happend internall in the person first and is made manifest through contact and manipualtion. Trying to create the later, without the former, is what has reduced the expectations of it's former potential in the eyes of so many.
d) by it's very nature it is very potent as it produces devastating kicks, strikes, throws, counter throws, and tends to cancel out most attempts to stop it.
There is something very potent out there for those who will pursue it, and get out to find it. The solution begins with you.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 03-11-2010 at 08:54 AM.