Old 07-09-2004, 02:15 AM   #14
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Re: Reminder of what real attacks look like

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote:
Thanks for the reminder Aleksey.
I thought the attack was crap till I saw the full-speed.
What this reminds me is that there is no time to think
at all once the attack begins. No time at all.
There was tons of time. First; as Ian said; Tinkerbell there should've known a response was coming; since he started it. Second; there was 2.5 seconds of buildup from the shove to the strike in which Powderpuff's brain worked up the brilliant bit of tactics: "Duuhhhh.... hit dat guy...". And long before that in which the decision had already been made. Ignoring for a moment the fact we knew it was going to happen 'cause there was a video of it; these two Einsteins were going to trade pleasantries from the second we saw 'em. Now; two seconds sounds quick; it's a very long time as these things go - if Powderpuff had any kind of skill at all; Tinkerbell's shove would have turned into a one-way ticket to toothless town.
Finally in the time department; well hell - it was a haymaker! If there's a slower form of arm strike; I don't know it. That is, of course, relative - it sure didn't look slow on the video; and it's 10 times faster than most see on the mat these days, but it's still bloody slow. There was tons o'time to get a guard up and get inside the weapon - the fist. Black Belt Tinkerbell had a dozen options at his disposal. The one he chose - breaking Powder Puff's knuckles with his chin - might not have been the best technique for the moment.

Just keep in mind: This was a fight, OK? Not a defense situation; not an assault. One dumbass shoved another dumbass; which threw a punch. Fighting was agreed upon by both sides.
As educational value; this video is a little light entertainment, nothing more - because this is not the attack you need to worry about. Just don't shove a fat goof with the intelligence of fertilizer.

Warning: the following link leads to a very violently graphic video.

This is the kind of attack you have to worry about.

Last edited by akiy : 07-10-2004 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Administrative: added graphic violence warning

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.