View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Re: Sumi Otoshi

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
It really depends. You could take a simple backwards ukemi or you could do a forward roll. If I am going to roll, I find it easier if you look and sllightly turn in the direction of where your hand is pointing. Then (at least for me) the forward roll just seems to come naturally.
Well I suppose its just a matter of practice... Thursday was my first time ever attempting Sumi Otoshi.. [Though I have done Jujinage in a seminar... minus the fancy flipping, dont ask me how it worked cause I really dont remember as it was about 2 years ago.]

Thinking back to Thursdays training, the guy I was training with was putting emphasis, from what I could understand of the Hungarian, to push my legs high in the air with the momentum similar to when doing a handstand. [He actually showed a handstand type move followed by a roll.]

I couldnt quite follow why/how you needed so much more momentum apparently than what the technique looked like it required when at the same time he seemed to emphasize that the movement should be soft & controlled, which is kind of hard with the handstand analogy...anyway, Ill figure this all out eventually.

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Unless nage is doing something that elicits a turn in uke, uke can just do a back fall.
As opposed to, say, jujinage.... :-)
As mentioned above I recall doing Jujinage, with the caveat Im not sure you can call it that after looking at the youtube clip with the ukemi...lol - that ukemi looked like what I was trying to do with Sumi Otoshi.. [Somehow it all fits together, my ukemi does need some work, to say the least, that is if I dont want to end up like one guy who got sent to the hospital after bad ukemi on one of these more 'advanced' techniques.]

Luckily Jujinage doesnt appear to be on any of the kyu exams [have to double check 1st, but I know its not on my next exam... at least I hope not.]

Wonder if "crumpling" counts as ukemi.

Peace

dAlen

Last edited by dalen7 : 08-07-2009 at 10:28 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com