View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
MM
United_States
Re: VoE: AWASE - The Principle of AIKI

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
I thought the general understanding was that classical Aikido koshinage comes from the branch of Yagyu Shingan ryu that Ueshiba studied?
As Driscoll noted, there are koshiguruma in Daito ryu. However, the "koshi nage" throws we see in Modern Aikido, I don't believe came from Ueshiba. It's my understanding that there were quite a few "koshi nage" techniques added from some people at Tokyo hombu. The devil is in the details, though. What and how Ueshiba did a technique was not, generally, the same as how Tokyo did them. I would find it more plausable that Ueshiba was doing koshiguruma than Modern Aikido's koshinage for the techniques he did.

While I'm told that there are IP/aiki training methods in koryu, some existing, some extinct (the training methods), it would be rather unique to find Ueshiba taking one small technique from another art when he's stuck to 99.9999% of Daito ryu because the art itself was all about IP/aiki. Still, yes, I do consider that it is a possibility.

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
Why are you stating this as a fact?
It is. Why is it that you don't know it? (Yes, it's the silly answer. I didn't know that I didn't know.)

Seriously, that's a long, involved, detailed answer that spans decades of work from a multitude of people. The end of that research shows a conclusion to what I stated. It is complex. It is rather striking in its simplicity. At the end of the day, it's still the truth.