Old 11-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #23
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States
Re: I Don't Care That Much

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
I think, Matt, that you like to argue
I definitely do like disagreement, at least where my own blog is concerned. When I write a post like the last one I wrote ("Lessons From a Long Weekend of Aikido"), and just talk about having a good time and learning a lot, there is never any response. No one wants to talk about that. They think, "Oh, that's nice," and then move on to something else. Disagreement means I've made people think something or feel something, and to me that's a lot more interesting than, "Oh, that's nice."
Quote:
and also might get off a bit on feeling like you have been victimized. I don't mean that disrespectfully. I don't think... you are aware of it yet. Aikiweb is a excellent place to see how we come across to others.

For me, aikido training is about deciding how to respond. Sometimes it is okay just to side step the sho-men or duck under the yokamen.

When I put an idea out onto Aikiweb I can watch the responses and then notice what reactions I have to the responses. If someone agrees with me it matters as much as if someone disparages my ideas. The practice is to participate and then learn about myself.
There is a lot of sense in this. Thanks and I'll keep this in mind.