View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #20
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 11

Seriously though . . .

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
O-Sensei's views had far more complexity and depth than the existing, out of context, versions allow for. If you don't really understand where his spiritual ideas came from, if you don't have any experience training using the same methods he did, you won't be able to reach a full understanding of the man's teachings.
. . . this statement, while perfectly reasonable on the surface, implies that the author enjoys a shared perspective originating in the knowledge and experience indicated in the text.

Quote:
There simply aren't very many folks around who incorporate much of the training O-Sensei did into their own training regimen.
Quote:
Abe Sensei and his students do, the Shingu folks still do I believe. Rev. Koichi Barrish here in Washington State is doing so. Gleason Sensei runs a week long intensive training every year that focuses on this. But still one has to go out of ones way to get it..
Again, this statement implies a perspective based in proprietary knowledge and experience that allows a) these specific individuals to "incorporate much of the training O-Sensei did" and, b) the statement maker to determine that they do.

Quote:
So, in the absence of any way to really get at the Founder's experience as he understood it, we do bounce back and forth between the a) and b) as you stated. In the end how we structure our studies and how we approach our training will shape our understanding. Which is why we will all have our individual ideas about the whole thing. I don't see "general agreement" happening any time soon.
This statement seems to stand in direct contrast with the assertions that came before it.

Of course, George, I suspect that our specific opinions share more in common than not. Nevertheless, the subjects of O-sensei's views and experiences seem to be a proverbial tar baby particularly when stated in absolute terms.

This is one particular aspect of appreciation I have for Peter's academic style of presentation. He shares evidence and argues for particular interpretations or conclusions in some (rather few) cases but allows for individuals to do their own "forensic" work and, in a sense, challenges them to draw inferences of their own and defend them in a similarly rigorous manner.

With Respect,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe