Old 08-25-2011, 01:56 AM   #46
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: O-sensei rules

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
Good Morning Peter,

Besides an obviously superior command of (either ) language, it appears as though you happen to have the majority, if not all, (there may be other versions floating around) of the texts being compared.

Thank you!,
Allen
Hello Allen,

I remember quite well the first time I saw these 'rules'. As I told Diana, I had bought Kisshomaru Ueshiba's Aikido from the Harvard Coop bookstore and I saw them listed on p. 174. I was especially struck by No. 3:

Practice at all times with a feeling of pleasurable anticipation.

I remember thinking at the time, Rather like having sex?

John Stevens does not do much better, either:

Always train in a vibrant and joyful manner.

Which sounds like the people in the adverts for toothpaste and detergent: a delight in whiteness that approaches ecstasy.

Kisshomaru adds his own commentary, on pp. 175-176. The commentary on No. 3 reads:

"Thirdly, it is fairly painful to keep on earnestly studying. But if you keep up the discipline of budo without tiring, you will at last reach a really enjoyable stage. Some people misunderstand that it is best to suffer while studying, but real study is pleasant at all times. Concentrating ourselves, not having any painful experiences, we are able to enjoy the practice sessions."

Which suggests to me that Kisshomaru thought of this as something that happens over the long term.

The Japanese text translated above reads:
三、練習は常に愉快に実施するを要す。
This is the same as in the Budo text, except for the use of older Chinese characters and katakana as okurigana:
三、練習ハ常ニ愉快ニ實施スルヲ要ス。

San, renshuu wa tsuneni yukaini jisshi suru wo yo su.

三、San: Three
練習は renshuu wa: as for training
実施する jisshi suru: to effect (it); to make happen
常に tsune ni: always
愉快に yukai ni: in a cheerful manner / in an enjoyable way
要す you su: is the essential point

As for training, to make it happen always in an enjoyable way is the essential point.

What is the force of jisshi suru?
The Koujien definition is: 実際に施行する: jissai ni shikkou suru: to actually put something in operation, like a law, or rule, or examination. The usual way of putting this in English is that the law or rule comes into force, or that the examination is held or takes place.

What is the force of yukai? The old Nihon Kokugo Daijiten defines it in terms of other similar terms for enjoyment.
Tanoshiku kibun wo yoku suru-koto; yorokobashikute kimochi ga yoi koto.
Example: yukaina kishitsu: cheerful disposition.
The Koujien does the the same:
Tanoshiku kokochiyoi koto. Examples: yukaina hito: a cheerful person; yukaini toki wo sugosu: to pass the time pleasantly.

One point here is the great importance attached to tanoshimu and tanoshimi in Japanese culture and children are brought up to do this from a very early age. You can see this most clearly in group activities like travelling and is a matter more of outward appearance rather than inner feeling or disposition.

Best wishes,

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 08-25-2011 at 02:03 AM.

P A Goldsbury