View Single Post
Old 06-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #109
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States
Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Quote:
Monty Collier wrote:
Being a master of Judo does not mean you are a good, peaceful, and moral person. One of the best Judo players I know loves to hang out at strip joints, get drunk, start fights, whip the bouncers when they come to stop the fights, and is often having to be bailed out of jail the next day. He will then go teach his kid's class about how Judo gives the moral strength to do the right thing. He knows that such moral claims attracts more students, and more students mean more money, and more booze, strippers, .....

Red Beetle
It is certainly possible to frame things in terms of good and bad with no middle ground.

It is also possible to think in terms of "harm reduction" as a helpful approach.

Is it possible that if this individual hadn't channeled his efforts into Judo, at which you say he earns enough to cover his tab at the titty bar, he might be a gangbanger, a bullyboy, a loan shark's collector, or something much worse?

Nobody is perfect, but I can think of a number of folks I know who will freely say that martial arts practice may not have made them saints, but it kept them out of a lot of trouble, and kept them from making trouble for a lot of other folks.

That sounds like a win/win unless you're in the business of letting the most excellent be the enemy of the better.