View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
Buck
United_States
Re: Would the Ikkyo pin work in MMA?

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
MMA is a sport. If the technique has no tactical advantage in a ring within the regulations and assumptions that go along with competitive fighting, then that technique is a waste of time and a risk.

However, just because an Aikido technique is not good for competitive sports it is not any reason to assume the technique is useless. I think in these days a lot of people judge the worth of a martial art by whether or not you can use it in the octagon! This pains me.
I don't disqualify BJJ by saying "pff, it isn't street effective, because an officer would get stabbed, over taken and destroy his knee caps on the cement if he tried to shoot out the legs of a drug dealer...especially if the drug dealer had five of his buddies with him!" That statement would be unfair to BJJ, because BJJ works perfectly fine in the setting it was designed for.. as much as standing jujitsu works just fine for the setting it was designed to be performed in.
Very well said, and humbled by the how well said. I wish I could get my thoughts in words down as well. I completely agree.

My 2 cents,I respect MMA, and don't devalue it. But it really is a matter of applying the right tool to the job, in accordance to what profession your in. MMA is effective but it isn't fit every situation, under every circumstance. Nor does Aikido. There are similarities in principles that can cross over. MMA means Mixed Marital Arts right? Like Maggie pointed it is about setting and design.

I think what happens that raises such questions we are discussing is the lack of background information on the part of MMA. This is not attacking MMA, but rather noting an aspect of MMA culture; it doesn't include background cross training information.

That is why I like Kevin's posts. He provides such information and bridges that gap, by stating, "Ikkyo pin requires a great deal of investment. However, think back to the era that it came from, and UNDERSTANDING of the dynamics of ikkyo, is VERY important."

Point being, Maggie makes a very insightful and good point, and so does Kevin. These points are not widely known through out the MMA community, as far as I know. Maggie's and Kevin's points combined is something I think would be very beneficial to the MMA culture of many in terms of these types of discussion questions.

I am sure others make just as good points in this regard, I apologize if I over-looked them in the is post.