View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004, 04:08 AM   #6
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Re: Different dojo populations...

I'm having a bit of deja-vu here in that if the same sort of sweeping generalisations were made about women not training hard enough there'd be uproar about sexism (as has been seen in some recent threads..) - could people please decide whether they acknowledge gender distinctions in ma or not and argue consistently?

Regarding your point about "young males like to teach" comment - we all get that from the young males, they're little bastards, the lot of 'em. I'd actually have to fall back on the stock "society's to blame guv" in that most women, even higher grades, often don't give the direct and rude smackdown they need in order to impress on them that you are the one that knows what they're doing, not them and they should shut up. Also, addressing the problem once is often not enough, just repeat as necessary.

I'd also like to point out that I'd put men and women over about 40 in the same like to teach camp - by that time they're so used to giving orders as mam or dad they have to be reminded that yes that young whipper-snapper does know more than them...